What first attracted you to this wet shaving gig? Maybe it was the amazing scents and plethora of options. Maybe it was the old-school charm and mystique of a brush, bowl, and blade. Maybe your thrifty heart beats to the tune of kicking the expensive cartridges to the curb. Ah, it might have been those, but if you are like the majority of men, you were probably attracted to the natural, organic, soothing nature of many of these products.
So, why organic/natural?
If your life-before-lathering was a constant battle with razor burn, irritation, bumps, and redness, then you probably love these sensitive skin-loving products. Organic/natural products are less likely to cause skin irritations and instead are skin-nourishing to leave you moisturized and soothed. If you hate to load your body with parabens, artificial colors and fragrances, and unpronounceable ingredients, then buying these thoughtfully produced grooming essentials will light your fire. Cutting out chemicals means cutting out ingredients that detrimentally affect your health. If you like to know where and how your shaving requisites are produced, then we have you covered with dozens of products, artisans, and brands who love the earth (and a healthy body) as much as you do.
Delete the harsh chemicals / Add in natural goodness
So, you’ve deleted the parabens, phthalates, dyes, and petroleum-based ingredients that make up so many supermarket brands. Turns out, nature provides most of what you need to take care of your skin. (Who knew, eh?). Herbs like rosemary, basil, sage, and ginger can provide stimulating, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Unlike petroleum, oils like olive, coconut, sustainable palm, argan, and jojoba work with the skin’s natural processes. Essential oils like lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, peppermint and more provide aromatherapeutic effects as well as wonderful scents. And, of course, well-known aloe vera, shea butter, and glycerin provide moisture. Even beeswax, volcanic ash, and clays can be used to naturally enhance products for hair, skin, and body.
Who to buy?
We have so many excellent choices that it is hard to even know where to start. But here are a few that were born out of a desire to work with nature’s good gifts. And searching for organic products on our site just got easier with a new category. Just click into any category from the home page, and you'll be able to search for Organic/Natural products along the left side of the page in any category.
Below is just a short list of WCS companies offering natural products that we recommend:
- Bey Shave - Bey Shave makes unique, naturally formulated tonics and oils that use sustainable practices in manufacturing and packaging. Their organic products are hand-crafted without all the additional chemicals and additives.
- Jack Black – Lightweight and non-greasy, their products are designed fragrance-free, colorant-free, cruelty-free, and sulfate-free. In their trademarked PureScience seal, you get certified organic, vegan ingredients that are dermatologist-tested and effective in promoting healthy skin. A wonderful blend of science and nature -- with plenty of awards to prove it!
- Level Naturals – Born on an organic farm in Hawaii and raised on the SoCal coast, this company is passionate about taking care of you and taking care of our world. Their nourishing ingredients are vegan, Leaping Bunny & PETA certified, with no synthetics or unpronounceable chemicals. All their essential oils are sourced naturally, and their soaps are handmade using only the finest ingredients.
- Lucia Bay - They provide quality products without unnecessary chemicals. You will not find sulfates, parabens or phthalates in this line. But, you will find essential oils and other excellent ingredients that will actually nourish and protect your skin. They also try to do all this keeping in mind the environment and particularly the ocean.
- Mitchell’s Wool Fat - For over eighty years, their totally natural, gentle soaps have been providing relief for all kinds of skin ailments, from ordinary dryness and sensitivity to more troublesome complaints. Free of unnatural additives and preservatives, and never tested on animals, Mitchell's products are the simple choice for naturally moisturized skin.
- Portland General Store - If you are a eco friendly person that likes green companies, you will love Portland General Store. Located in Maine, PGS ties to obtain most of their high quality natural ingredients from local farmers and artisans when possible, while providing great products that are free of man-made, synthetic chemicals.
What about artisan brands?
We've also got a wide array of artisan brands that are hand-crafted with natural goodness. Many of them create vegan offerings as well. Last year, we made a concerted effort to bring in as many of the best artisan brands of shaving creams and soaps that we could find -- and many of them were suggested by our customers!
Below is a partial list of artisan brands we carry that we, ourselves, stand behind. Brands that have great, personal stories. Almost always, these company owners didn't start out as CEOs of their own small businesses. More often than not, they simply wanted something better and more natural that was made with pure, organic, or vegan ingredients. When they couldn't find these products on the market, they made their own!
Some WCS Artisan Brands we love who offer handmade products: