The Perfect Dopp Kit: Great Grooming on the Go
Does holiday time mean travel time? Or does your job take you from coast-to-coast? Or are you a free-spirit ready to wander where the wind blows? If you need to have a travel case handy, then West Coast Shaving is here for you. We’ve compiled the products you need to create the perfect dopp kit traveling companion... including the dopp bag! Keep it stocked and ready to go, so you can respond whenever the mood (or the boss) moves you!
The Perfect Dopp/Travel Bag from West Coast Shaving:
The Dopp Bag
First, you need the perfect dopp bag. Having a convenient place to hold all your gear means that you are ready to roll, whether down the street to the gym or across the world on a business trip. West Coast Shaving has just the bag you need. Simple, spill-resistant, black, this faux leather bag is classic - and classy.
- WCS Vegan Leather Dopp Kit, Black: This bag has a heavy duty zipper, wide opening for ease of access, and a square bottom to stand upright.
Now we need the perfect razor. And you won’t be disappointed with Merkur. When Emil Hermes hung out his shingle in 1896, he certainly couldn't have anticipated the success of his fledgling cutlery company. Today Merkur is renown worldwide for their exceptional blades, razors, and more. See why they top so many bestseller lists with this travel razor. Or if you just can’t travel without your favorite edge, we’ve got you covered – literally. Get this leather safety razor case to keep it protected.
- Merkur Travel Safety Razor- This full-sized safety razor breaks down and stores in a small, black leather case. It is chrome-plated with a closed comb head. It is perfect for travel or for those who have storage challenges.
- West Coast Shaving Leather Safety Razor Case, Brown - This case is crafted with two types and textures of fine leather. The inner lining is soft, supple pigskin to cushion your grooming investment. The outer layer is grained brown leather with a second layer of darker brown down the center. The fold-and-snap closure keeps your razor from wandering about your kit.
The Shaving Brush
This kit isn’t done yet. The perfect set needs a great shaving brush and we have some great options. From badger to synthetic, we’ve got what you need to whip up that foamy, frothy lather and exfoliate your skin. For this we’ve picked two options from fantastic manufacturers – Kent and Edwin Jagger. Since 1777, Kent, a family owned business, has been turning out some of the world's finest brushes. Recognized by the granting of royal warrants from no less than nine reigns, Kent has an unbroken record of excellence. Or check out Edwin Jagger. Here at West Coast Shaving we carry more Edwin Jagger products than any other brand. Why? Because for nearly three decades this British company has been producing quality products that appeal to the newest wet shaver and the veteran wet shaving master.
- Muhle 39K257 Synthetic Silvertip Shaving Brush, Faux Ivory – Muhle’s synthetic, silvertip hairs are where the money's at. They may even prove true that "art is capable of surpassing nature". These fibers are processed by hand with very soft tips. But the middle hair is firmer than naturally derived strands. The low maintenance head is suitable for vegans, produces a great lather, and dries quickly. What a feat! That makes it perfect for travel so add it to your dopp bag. And you can never go wrong with a classic ivory handle.
Edwin Jagger Best Badger Travel Brush with Case, Black - Get an Edwin Jagger brush in best badger to whip up a fantastic lather on soap or cream. You can’t go wrong with badger hair in creating the perfect shave. These brushes come with a case or retract into the handle so they are protected as they bounce around a toiletry bag.
The Shaving Soap/Cream
Now comes the fun part. You’ve got all the “hard”ware now let’s check out the “soft”ware. There are so many great shaving soap options; you could get lost in the suds. But don’t worry, we’ve narrowed it down to a couple of great choice, especially for a dopp kit – Taylor Old Bond Street and Haslinger. Established in 1854 during the reign of Queen Victoria, Taylor of Old Bond Street is truly an icon of wet shaving. Or try a newer artisan. Melody Kent’s Moon Soaps are a wonderful tallow-based shaving soap. Use the oversize tub to make your lather, then rinse, cap and throw it in your bag. (It’s best when you can let it air dry but if you are in a hurry, it seals shuts to go where you go.)
- Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Tube, Sandalwood, 75ml – TOBS creams are full of natural ingredients that can nourish and rejuvenate the face without causing irritation. The cream contains coconut oil, which has moisture locking properties that keep your skin feeling silky soft. It is formulated to generate a rich lather that serves as your skin's protection from razor burns. And the convenient tube makes it excellent to throw in your kit. If you don't dig the sandalwood, you can also find it in a variety of other scents.
- Moon Soaps Shaving Soap - These tallow-based soaps contain locally rendered beef tallow, shea butter, mango butter, and more. A rich -protective lather even on the go. The soft formula even makes lathering a breeze. Choose your scent from Old-School, Union, Havana, Sorrento, or Amaretto Speciale.
As we round out this kit, we come to the aftershave. We could have a list as long as your arm, but we’re going to limit it to one exceptional post-shave product. This will moisturize, nourish, protect, heal, and even scent your skin. How can you go wrong with this classic?
- Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food - Get yourself a versatile shaving partner that takes care of you before and after you shave. The Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food is a great pre and post shave partner. Using it as a pre-shave treatment, it lifts and softens the bristles of your hair allowing your razor to glide through with ease. On the other hand, using the non-greasy glycerin rich based formula after shaving can soothe and aid in healing. It has rosewater which acts as an astringent that unclogs pores, making your face look smooth and clean. It also helps reduce irritation by acting as an anti-inflammatory substance.
So, you’ve got the goods for a great shave, but why stop there?!?! Let’s take this dopp kit to a new level with ALL the toiletries you need for a great groom. Look at this list and you might change the name from “extras” to “essentials”.
- D.R. Harris Ocean Shampoo Bar -Made with Dead Sea salts, this cleanser will thicken thinning hair and bring new life to dull, lusterless locks. With D.R. Harris shampoo bars, you can be sure people will notice your refined and impeccable appearance. In spite of their Old World charm, D.R. Harris has very modern sensibilities. Shampoo bars are economical and environmentally-friendly as they lather voluminously, meaning you use less. It comes in a reusable aluminum tin which is perfect for travel. In addition, all coloring is vegetable/food sourced and earth-friendly.
- Speick Deodorant Stick - This brand has been cultivating and using the Alpine valerian plant (Valeriana celtica) in its products for its aromatic and healing properties. This deodorant stick also has the high altitude plant as well as ingredients to neutralize odor, moisturize, and sooth.
- Kent Beard and Mustache Comb - Kent has been producing exceptional combs and brushes for decades. So you can be sure you are getting quality when you grab this mustache comb from Kent. It is a fine-toothed tool so get your lip rug in tip top shape.
- Grant’s Golden Brand Pomade - Keep it all together, even on the road, with this pomade by Grant’s Golden. It is medium hold, light sheen, water-based hair pomade. With the light scent of coconut and almond, it will not offend the faceless masses in the close-quarters of planes, trains, or automobiles. And with the screw-top tub you can throw it in your dopp kit with confidence.
So, if you find yourself facing the long lines at TSA this season, take a little of the stress out of travel with these products. And if you find yourself facing a long list of gifts to get, this might take some of the stress out of that as well. Give the perfect dopp kit to any of those “hard to please” family members this year.
Leave a comment