Your Essential Wet Shaving Products Checklist
You’ve read the blog post, watched the video, talked to your friends, spiraled down into the chat rooms and you are ready to take the plunge into wet shaving. So, what do you need to get started? We think there are a few essentials that every new beginner should have. . . as well as a few extras that can come in handy.
Essential Wet Shaving Products Checklist
- Double Edge Safety or Straight Razor - You need to mow down those hairs with a tool that holds a sharp blade. We recommend a Double Edge Safety razor, especially for beginners, but you could also choose a Straight edge razor.
Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor
Dovo 5/8" Inox Olivewood Straight Razor
- Razor Blades (or strop) - You will need a pack of razor blades to load into your Double Edge safety razor. Finding your perfect blade may take a bit of trial and error, so we offer sample packs to make the job easier. If you decide to go the way of a straight razor, you will need a strop to maintain your blade.
DE Blade Sampler Pack, Standard
WCS 3” Strop, Latigo Leather and Canvas, Mahogany
- Shaving Soap or Cream - Wet shaving requires that you have an adequate lubricant to allow the blade to glide over your skin and prevent razor burn, irritation, etc. Using artisan shaving soaps and creams that are specially designed to be thick, dense, and long-lasting is a big part of the wet shaving game.
WCS Duck Fat Shaving Soap, Oriental
Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl, Sandalwood
- Shaving Brush - In order to whip up that luscious froth, you will need a shaving brush. This tool is designed to aerate and hydrate the soap and then exfoliate your skin and raise your hair as you apply it to your skin.
WCS Tortoiseshell Collection Torch Shaving Brush, Silvertip
Yaqi R1730 Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synthetic Shaving Brush
- Aftershave or Balm - We recommend that you don’t skip this step as your post-shave skin needs some love. While soaps have come a long way in nourishing your skin, you can still benefit from a product that cleanses, tones, and hydrates your skin after the shave.
Fine Classic After Shave, American Blend
Proraso Alcohol-Free Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E
Additional Wet Shaving Product Essentials + Checklist
- Pre-shave - Used before you shave to prep the skin and hair.
Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented
- Alum - Used after you shave to close pores and stop can bleeding caused by nicks.
WCS Basics Alum Aftershave Bar
- Razor or Shaving Brush stand - Used to dry your tools and keep them in tip-top shape (and conveniently accessible). You can get separate stands for holding shaving brushes or safety razors; however, we like the stands that do double duty and hold both.
- Shaving Bowl or Mug - Used to make and hold your lather during a shave.
Timeless Razor Shaving Bowl, Blue
- Cologne - Used to take a phenomenal scent into your day - and let the feeling of a clean shave go with you.
Geo F Trumper Spanish Leather Cologne
- Towel - When warmed, a towel can be used to open your pores and prep for a great shave (as well as clean the lather off your face when you are done).
West Coast Shaving Facial Wrap Towel, White
What is on your wet shaving essentials checklist? Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments below.
Leave a comment