Yates Precision Manufacturing DE Safety Razor, Model 921-M with Bonus Hybrid Brass Plate (Updated Threading)
- 316 stainless steel
- Handmade in Pennsylvania
- "Stonewashed" durable, grippy finish
In June of 2017, mechanical engineer Jake Yates turned his experience in the aerospace & medical industries into Yates Precision Manufacturing. His passion for design, engineering, & manufacturing prompted him to start his own business creating quality, aesthetically pleasing products.
100% USA made 316-stainless steel razor with bonus hybrid brass baseplate
each razor has a unique, engraved serial number and matching card certifying production details.
As I had no prior knowledge about the brand, I was shocked by how well this razor performed. Super smooth yet efficient enough for my barbed-wire beard. The handle is much longer and thinner than I generally prefer, but I had no problems during use. If you shave your head or legs, you might even appreciate the longer handle design. The bonus brass hybrid plate (closed/open comb) provides a cool color contrast with the stonewashed steel. The baseplate serial numbers demonstrate the artisan's attention to detail. Needless to say, I get to test a lot of gear. I'm really excited about this razor.
I was skeptical about my own excitement and invited some fellow razor enthusiasts to try it too. Here's actual feedback from one of those testers: "The razor is a marvel: probably the best combination of aggressiveness (5.5/10) and efficiency (at least 8.5 /10, if not 9) I've ever come across. The two things are at odds with one another, and it's very difficult to minimize aggressiveness while simultaneously maximizing efficiency. A complete unknown in the community, this is made in Pennsylvania and comes with two plates for around $130. Welcome to the party, Yates." B. Myers, 11/16/19.
Description from the Vendor
The Model 921 safety razor is precision machined in the United States from 316 stainless steel bar stock. This ensures consistently tight tolerances, and results in a much higher quality razor than the traditional casting process. 316 Stainless is commonly used in the medical and marine industries due to its superior corrosion resistance, which makes it very suitable for the bathroom environment.
The "M" in 921-M stands for "Mid", as this is a mid-level baseplate, designed as a neutral shaver. It will produce a nice, close shave, while also reducing the probability of nicks and cuts.
Advantages of the Model 921 Safety Razor:
- Machined entirely on CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) equipment, ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- High quality 316 Stainless Steel
- Unlike some of the competitors, the side of the blade does not protrude from the razor, making the changing of blades safer and more comfortable.
- Long 4" handle provides more control
- Each baseplate features machine engraved Serial Number, ensuring that your razor is unique to you.
- Limited lifetime warranty directly from Yates.
- Packaged with Eco-Friendly material.
- Stonewashed- This finish is the most robust, as it hides any scratches that may occur over the life of the razor.
- One complete razor (Handle, Baseplate, and Top Cap)
- BONUS: Hybrid brass baseplate. The Model 921-HYB baseplate combines the best of both worlds. The open-comb side provides aggressive, clog-free shaving for quickly tackling longer hair, while the traditional scalloped, closed-comb side provides a close finishing pass. This baseplate is only compatible with the Yates Precision Model 921 Safety Razor. Note: Brass oxidizes over time, forming a "Patina". This can be left as-is for an aged look, or removed using fine Scotch Brite pads.